This bright, spicy, and medicated side dish is adapted from Joshua McFadden's recipe on Lucky Peach. I love the texture of sous vide carrots because it's sealed in a bag and cooked below boiling, the dish will retain all the vitamins and minerals. So healthy!
Spicy Fish Sauce Carrots with Herbs
Ingredients for Carrots
• 10 carrots
• 2 Tbsp canna-butter (use regular for non-medicated carrots)
Ingredients for Spicy Fish Sauce
• 1/2 cup lightly packed mixed fresh greens (parsley, mint, chives, dill, basil, chopped little gem)
• 1/2 lemon, cut into wedges
• 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 2 Thai hot chilies, minced (use green and red)
• 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
• 1/4 cup fish sauce (I used Red Boat)
• 3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
• 3 Tbsp water
• 1 Tbsp sugar
1. Set your sous vide water bath to 85ºC (185ºF)
2. Seal carrots and butter using a vacuum sealer or with the water displacement method. There might be air bubbles so be sure to have the carrots fully submerged. Sous vide for an hour.
3. In a small bowl, mix fish sauce, chilies, cider vinegar, water, garlic, and sugar. Give it a little taste and add more water if it’s too strong.
4. Remove carrots from water bath, discard the liquid, and slice the carrots in half. Arrange carrots in a serving bowl.
5. Gently toss the fresh greens with 3-4 Tbsp of spicy fish sauce with the juice of a wedge of lemon. Arrange on top of carrots with a drizzle of olive oil. Serve lemon wedges and the rest of the sauce on the side.