Cocktail bitters are chock full of of bitter-tasting roots, barks and botanicals that offer medicinal properties and pack a lot of flavor. We like to add ground cannabis to ours for extra medicinal effects! You can use this in a mocktail if you don't drink alcohol, or in a killer old-fashioned as a nightcap, or use it in place of extracts when baking pastries.
Medicated Orange Bitters
Makes 250ml (about 1 cup)
• 1 cup Everclear (or any high-proof liquor — at least 100 proof or 50% alcohol by volume)
• 6 grams ground, decarbed cannabis
• Peel of two oranges
• 1/2 Tbsp dried gentian root
• 1/2 Tbsp crushed green cardamom pods
• 1/2 Tbsp coriander seeds
• 1 tsp allspice
• 1 tsp cloves
• 1 star anise
1. Set your sous vide water bath to 70ºC.
2. Place all ingredients in a zip seal bag and seal using the water displacement method.
3. Submerge and sous vide for 1 hour.
4. Remove from water bath and let cool to room temperature. Strain out the solids and discard. Keep bitters in a bottle in a dark cabinet.
*Always start small when using bitters and tinctures. 1-2 drops and wait 30-60 minutes for full effects. Increase dosage if needed.