I used to work right by K-Town in NYC and I would always slip out during my coffee break to stroll through the Korean markets, peruse all the interesting ingredients, and snack on a Melona Popsicle. I loved the creamy, almost-chewy texture of the ice-cream and the vibrant melon flavor. I think I've struck a good balance with this medicated homemade version. I've also added touch of sea salt because it sharpens the sweetness of the melon!
Medicated Sea Salt Melon Ice Cream
• 1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
• 3 Tbsp Sous Weed dulce de leche
• 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, cold
• 1/3 cup pureed cantaloupe or honey dew
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 1/4 tsp sea salt
• Mint leaves for garnish, optional
1. Pour the condensed milk and Sous Weed dulce de leche into a large bowl and whisk in the vanilla extract, melon puree, and sea salt.
2. Pour the heavy cream into a blender or standing mixer--blend or whip the cream until it holds stiff peaks, about 3 minutes.
3. Turn the blender or mixer to low and gently pour in the condensed milk and cantaloupe mixture. Mix until smooth.
4. Use the spatula to scrape all the ice cream base into a freezer container. Smooth the top, then press a piece of plastic wrap against the surface of the liquid to prevent ice crystals from forming.
5. Freeze for at least six hours and enjoy within 2 weeks!