Flaky AF Canna Scallion Pancakes
I've been feeling a little homesick and I'm missing mama's home cooking, especially her crispy-thin scallion pancakes (cong you bing) that she fries up for breakfast with our Taiwanese soy bean milk.
A good scallion pancake is is crunchy on the outside, lightly scented with toasted sesame oil, and flaky af inside. I've adapted mama's recipe with chopped raw cannabis leaves mixed with the scallions. The raw cannabis adds THCA and its anti-inflammatory and neuroprotective properties to the dish. THCA is non-psychoactive but if you'd like to medicate this recipe, you can brush on my Sous Weed sesame oil to make it extra special.
Canna Scallion Pancakes
Makes 4-6 pancakes
• 2 cups AP flour, plus extra for dusting
• 1 cup boiling water
• 1/4 cup toasted sesame oil, you can use medicated if you'd like
• 3 large raw cannabis leaves, chopped
• 4 scallions, thinly sliced
• Salt to taste
• Vegetable or canola oil for frying
1. Place flour and a pinch of salt in food processor or blender (I used my Vitamix.) Run the processor and slowly drizzle in boiling water. The dough should start coming together after about 15 seconds. Continue until all boiling water is used and dough has formed.
2. Pour dough out onto a floured surface and knead dough into a smooth ball. Cover the dough with plastic wrap or a damp paper towel and let it rest for 30 minutes.
3. Cut the dough into 6 equal-sized pieces. Shape each piece into a ball.
4. Working with one ball at a time, roll out into a disk roughly 6-inches in diameter on a lightly floured surface. Brush a thin layer of toasted sesame oil over the top of the disk. Roll the disk up like a cinnamon roll, then twist roll into a tight spiral (much like a snail shell), tucking the end underneath. Flatten it gently with your hand, then re-roll into an 6-inch disk.
5. Brush with another layer of sesame oil, sprinkle a thin layer of scallions and cannabis greens, and roll up like a cinnamon roll again. Twist into a snail shell, flatten, and re-roll into a 6-inch disk.
6. Repeat with the remaining dough balls.
7. Heat vegetable oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, place a pancake into the hot oil. Fry until first side is an even golden brown, about 2 minutes. Carefully flip with a tongs or chopsticks if you're OG. Fry for another 2 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Salt to taste and cut into wedges.
8. Serve immediately with soy sauce.