Medicated Chinese Chili Oil
This recipe is an adaptation of dad's Chinese chili oil recipe. We eat this stuff on pretty much everything and it's killer with some medicated dumplings. We like to make it in large batches to keep in the fridge for months. It's not traditional to add peanuts but we're extra like that.
Medicated Chinese Chili Oil with Peanuts
Makes 2.5 cups
• 1/4 cup dried Chinese chili flakes
• 1/4 cup raw peanuts
• 1/4 tsp kosher salt
• 2 cups peanut oil
• 1 Tbsp Sichuan peppercorns
• 2 Tbsp medicated sesame oil
1. Add red pepper flakes, raw peanuts, and salt into a heat resistant bowl and set aside.
2. Heat peanut oil in a sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add Sichuan peppercorns into the hot oil and wait for the bubbles. Then turn the heat down low to infuse for about 5 minutes.
3. Remove the hot Sichuan oil from the burner and using a mesh strainer, strain the oil into the bowl of pepper flakes, peanuts, and salt. The hot oil will rapidly heat through and infuse the mixture. Discard the peppercorns. Let cool.
4. Once cool, stir in the medicated sesame oil. Store in the fridge.
*Note: The amount of cannabis chili oil specified in this recipe is a very loose suggestion; the actual amount you use should be modified based on the strength of your chili oil and the potency you desire. Dosing homemade edibles can be tricky, so the best way to test for potency is to start with one portion of a serving, in this case, one teaspoon, and wait one to two hours, then make an informed decision on whether to consume more. Always dose carefully and listen to your body, and never drive under the influence of cannabis.