Trippy Temari Sushi: A Collab with Kyrious Co
Photography & Soy Sauce Infusion by Monica Lo
Words by Kyra Mueller-Yamamoto, @kyrious.co
Growing up with a grandfather from Japan and a grandmother from Hawaii, sushi has always been a staple during family gatherings. All the different types, shapes, flavor and colors- sushi was a means for us to get together as a family and create art out of rice, vegetables and sometimes fish.
I have always been obsessed with Japanese pop culture especially the culture of cuteness otherwise known as ‘Kawaii’. Their obsession with tiny, lovable and cute things is expressed through clothing, toys, mannerisms even food! It only seemed fitting to create a sushi day with girlfriends with the theme of Kawaii in mind. For me, the rainbow of colors reigns supreme when it comes to anything in life especially food. The more colorful means the more nutrient dense especially when you include a plethora of vegetables into the mix. I decided to naturally dye the sushi rice with turmeric, beets and butterfly pea flower tea creating unforgettable yellow, blue and magenta rice.
One of the easiest sushi rolls that you can make at home is temari sushi which are colorful ball-shapes topped with fresh veggies, sauces even fresh cannabis leaves for ours. Temari literally translates to ‘handball’ in English and are made to resemble these colorful embroidered handballs that are used as ornaments in Japan. Enjoy these trippy temari sushi dipped in medicated soy sauce alongside wasabi and no meal would be complete without an adaptogenic Mediated Boba Matcha and Strawberry Milk.
Sous Weed Soy Sauce
• 2/3 cup Tamari or soy sauce
• 2 Tbsp medicated vegetable oil
• 1/4 tsp lecithin powder (I used soy lecithin)
1. Pour soy sauce in a container that works well with your immersion blender.
2. Slowly pour in medicated vegetable oil and blend with immersion blender.
3. Add lecithin and continue to blend until fully emulsified.
Colorful Sushi Rice
Makes 9 cups
• 3 cups sushi rice
• 3 cups water
• 1/3 cup rice vinegar
• 3 Tbsp coconut sugar
• 1 tsp salt
• 2 tsp turmeric
• 2 Tbsp Butterfly Pea Flower tea
• 1 beet
• 1 1/2 cups water for dye
1. Place rice in a large bowl and rice thoroughly to remove any additional starch. Rinse until water runs clear.
2. Add cleaned rice and 3 cups of water to rice cooker. Start cooker.
3. In a small pot, add chopped beet in 1 cup water. Once water starts to boil, remove from heat and let cool.
4. In a separate bowl, add 2 Tbsp Butterfly Pea Flower Tea to 1/4 cup water. Set aside.
5. In another small bowl add 1/4 cup water with 2 tsp turmeric powder. Stir and set aside.
6. Transfer cooked rice into a large bowl and fold in rice vinegar, coconut sugar, and salt with a rice paddle.
7. Separate the 3 cups into three smaller bowls.
8. Add 2 Tbsp of the turmeric water to one bowl and stir until a vivid yellow color appears.
9. Add 2 Tbsp of the butterfly pea flower tea water to another bowl and stir until a bright blue color appears.
10. Lastly, add 2 to 3 Tbsp of beet water to the final bowl until a bright pink hue appears.
11. Cover all three bowls with a dampened paper towel to preserve freshness.
Trippy Temari Sushi Recipe
Makes about 28 Temari Sushi
• Sushi rice
• Carrot, thinly sliced rounds
• Avocado, thinly sliced
• Bell pepper, thinly sliced
• Purple cabbage, sliced
• Cucumber, thinly sliced rounds
• Fresh basil
• Fresh cannabis leaves
• Dried nori
• Vegan Miso Mayo or Kewpie Mayo
• Fish roe, smoked salmon, sashimi or other meat, optional
1. Prepare colored rice, chopped veggies and sauces initially.
2. Place a sheet of plastic wrap (about ½ foot long) on table in front of you.
3. In the center of the saran wrap, lay down vegetables and herbs of choice no wider than 2 inches.
4. Once your vegetables have been set, clump colored rice in your palm about the size of a golf ball. Feel free to mix colored rice together or keep separate.
5. Once ball starts to form, gently place it on top of your vegetables and wrap the rest of the saran wrap around your rice ball. Twist and close the wrap tightly making a perfect ball shape.
6. Remove the ball from the plastic wrap and set on plate. Top with sauce or other herbs and continue with other ingredients.
Medicated Boba Vegan Matcha and Strawberry Milk
• 1/2 cup dried tapioca pearls
• 3 cups almond milk
• 1 cup coconut milk
• 2 Tbsp HoneyPot CBD Honey
• 1 ½ tsp matcha
• 1/2 cup fresh strawberries
• 2 tsp MoonJuice Sex Dust, optional
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1. Cook tapioca pearls according to the instructions on the package.
2. Strain the tapioca pearls and mix in HoneyPot until fully coated.
3. Place the tapioca pearls at the bottom of two cups. Fill cups with ice.
4. Using a blender add 1 ½ cup almond milk, ½ cup coconut milk, matcha, 1 tsp Sex Dust and blend. Pour directly into one cup.
5. Rinse blender and add 1 ½ cup almond milk, ½ cup coconut milk, strawberries, cinnamon, 1 tsp Sex Dust and vanilla. Pour directly into second cup.
6. Serve with a fat straw.