Cocktail bitters are chock full of of bitter-tasting roots, barks and botanicals that offer medicinal properties and pack a lot of flavor. We like to add ground cannabis to ours for extra medicinal effects! You can use this in a mocktail if you don't drink alcohol, or in a killer old-fashioned as a nightcap, or use it in place of extracts when baking pastries.
Medicated Orange Bitters
Makes 250ml (about 1 cup)
• 1 cup Everclear (or any high-proof liquor — at least 100 proof or 50% alcohol by volume)
• 4-6 g ground, decarbed cannabis (more or less depending on your tolerance)
• Peel of two oranges
• 1/2 Tbsp dried gentian root
• 1/2 Tbsp crushed green cardamom pods
• 1/2 Tbsp coriander seeds
• 1 tsp allspice
• 1 tsp cloves
• 1 star anise
1. Set your sous vide water bath to 70ºC.
2. Place all ingredients in a zip seal bag and seal using the water displacement method.
3. Submerge and sous vide for 1 hour.
4. Remove from water bath and let cool to room temperature. Strain out the solids and discard. Keep bitters in a bottle in a dark cabinet.
*Note: The amount of cannabis bitters specified in this recipe is a very loose suggestion; the actual amount you use should be modified based on the strength of your bitters and the potency you desire. Dosing homemade edibles can be tricky, so the best way to test for potency is to start with one portion of a serving, in this case, 1-2 drops, and wait one to two hours, then make an informed decision on whether to consume more. Always dose carefully and listen to your body, and never drive under the influence of cannabis.