Cannabis-Infused Sesame Oil & Ahi Poke Bowl
Poke bowls are all the rage lately, especially here in San Francisco. We've got poke shops popping up all over the place! They're usually crammed full of filler ingredients which makes it not so yummy--like tortilla chips... WHY?
It's always tastier to make at home and it's even more fun when it's medicated! My pal, Siska from ChiliCali, is launching a brand new line of Indonesian sauces and the kukui nut sauce is phenomenal in an Ahi tuna poke bowl. It's optional in this recipe, but trust me, you'll want to get your hands on some. Stay tuned for her upcoming Kickstarter campaign!
We're breaking this post down into two recipes--the medicated sesame oil and the poke bowl.
Medicated Toasted Sesame Oil
Makes 8 oz
• 8 oz toasted sesame oil
• 1/4 oz cannabis trim or flowers (add more or less depending on your desired potency)
1. First you need to decarb your trim to activate the THC. You can decarb using the sous vide method or you can wrap the trim in foil and place in the oven at 310ºF for 10-18 minutes. You know it's ready when it starts smelling like a Christmas tree.
2. Set your sous vide water bath to 85ºC (185ºF).
3. Pour the sesame oil in a large canning jar and add the warm, decarbed trim. Seal the jar and place into the water bath to sous vide for 4 hours to fully infuse.
4. After 4 hours, gently remove jar from water bath and let cool.
5. Strain out the trim and discard.
6. Keep the oil in a cool dark place.
Medicated Ahi Tuna Poke Bowl
• 1/2 lb Ahi tuna steak
• 1/2 red spring onion, diced
• 1/2 avocado, sliced
• 1 Tbsp medicated sesame oil
• 1/2 Tbsp soy sauce
• 1 tsp honey
• 1 tsp ChiliCali Kukui & Shallot Base, optional
• 1 Tbsp nori, shredded
• 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
• Salt to taste, optional
1. Using a clean board, cut your tuna steaks into 1/2" cubes and set aside in a bowl.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together medicated sesame oil, soy sauce, honey, and ChiliCali Kukui & Shallot sauce.
3. Pour the sauce over the cubed tuna and toss with spring onions, shredded nori and sesame seeds. Give it a little taste to see if you need additional salt
4. Serve with sliced avocado and a side of rice.
*Note: The amount of cannabis sesame oil specified in this recipe is a very loose suggestion; the actual amount you use should be modified based on the strength of your sesame oil and the potency you desire. Dosing homemade edibles can be tricky, so the best way to test for potency is to start with one portion of a serving, in this case, one teaspoon, and wait one to two hours, then make an informed decision on whether to consume more. Always dose carefully and listen to your body, and never drive under the influence of cannabis.